9.19.2009

Hey, why'd ya stop running?



This morning I participated in the 20th annual Alzheimer's Association of Colorado Springs 5K. My grandmother suffered from Alzheimer's, so the issue is very close to my heart.



With a genetic proclivity toward Alzheimer's, this could be me one day.

It scares the shit out of me.

So over the past few weeks I've been fundraising for the cause; thanks to six friends I hit my goal of $100. It's not a lot but as a former nonprofit fundraising professional, I know every little bit helps.

On a slightly different note, I walked/ran this 5K, and had a memorable incident while on the back half of the 5K. This summer, I began running. Usually, I manage a few blocks, my body starts complaining and I give up. For those of you familiar with the local Jack Quinn's Running Club, I've tried joining them on a few Tuesdays, but the pattern is often the same.

Just after I made the halfway point this morning, I turned my run back into a walk. It wasn't long before a man in navy shorts and a white T-shirt, much older than me, passed me. He slowed a bit as he looked back and said, "Hey, why'd ya stop running?" I gave a noncommital grunt of sorts. He turned away and kept going.

As I walked along, I thought, "Hey, why DID I stop running?" Here's the rest of my thought pattern:
It's hot.
But it's hot whether I'm walking or running.
My knee hurts.
Not that much.
I'm tired.
Suck it up.

And so, with this dude about 20 or 30 paces in front me, I began to run again. And run. And run.

I ran the rest of the route. All the way back to the finish line. As I passed beneath the Memory Walk sign, a lone woman cheered for me. I smiled at her just before I crunched forward to ease the pain in my side.

I was tired, but I made it. I did it.

May you overcome the next challenge you face. And may the Alzheimer's Association meet the fundraising challenges that face them as well, so that a cure may be found.



2 comments: